Khao Ngon Nak – Stunning View Over Krabi

I always love a good view, and when my wife showed me a picture of a cliff ledge with a drop straight down with a stunning karst landscape in the background, I knew I just had to go. I’m talking about Khao Ngon Nak (เขาหงอนนาค), meaning “dragon crest mountain” in Thai. The viewpoint at the top is 565 meters above sea level, offering one hell of a good view.

ngon-nak-view

The trail is just 3.7 km long but goes through very steep jungle terrain. The climb takes around 2 – 2½ hours, depending on how many breaks you take. Use good shoes, and don’t forget to bring a lot of water because you will sweat!

The starting point.

map-ngon-nak

A map at the starting point shows that the Hang Nak Hill Nature Trail has a stream, two viewpoints and a waterfall before the peak of Khao Ngon Nak.

Jungle hike in Krabi.

Welcome to the jungle!

green-thin-snake-thailand

While walking, we saw an extremely slender, green snake, several small lizards and we could hear amazing sounds from gibbons.

tree-carves-ngon-nak

Names carved in tree bark.

The hike is steep at places. Be careful and take breaks.

the-group-of-hong-islands

After about one and a half hours climb, the edge of the jungle opened up and gave us a view out of the ordinary. From here you can see the group of the Hong Islands. You can even see Koh Yao Noi and Koh Yao Yai further away.

Have you booked your hotel yet? Why pay more if you don’t have to? Agoda offers the best selection of hotels in Thailand to fit your travel budget and preferences.

We’re getting there.

ngon-nak-break

Just a quick break.

Finally! What an absolutely lovely sign!

ngon-nak-brother-in-law

My brother-in-law near the edge of the peak. He’s not smiling because he feels comfortable.

khao-ngon-nak-vertical-cliff

This shot is the reason I wanted to come here; the cliff ledge and the stunning karst landscape. My wife’s cousin, Aiod, was brave enough to let me take this picture.

LOCATION

Khao Ngon Nak/Hang Nak is part of the Tubkaek National Park. The entrance is located close Tubkaek Beach in Nong Thale, 30 minutes north of Ao Nang.

8 thoughts on “Khao Ngon Nak – Stunning View Over Krabi

1. Hanif Aziz November 11, 2016 / 2:20 pm

Hi, nice entry. I would like to ask for a guide to the cliff ledge and the stunning landscape if im referring to the map that u mention above. In which viewpoint of KM can i found that scene of the cliff ledge and the stunning landscape. Thankyou!

2. Anders November 11, 2016 / 2:56 pm

Hi, Hanif. When you reach the peak (after viewpoint 2) and see the Ngon Nak sign, you will first see a big rock, (the first picture in this post) then turn right and go down a small path, there you’ll find the cliff ledge. It’s not easy to see at first, but you’ll find it when you get there. Good luck!

3. Geoff February 20, 2019 / 3:52 pm

Hi Anders,
    Do you think kids can manage this hike?Our youngest is 8, she had no trouble climbing the Monks Trail near Chiang Mai. Any reason we shouldn’t give it a try?
    Thanks,
    – Geoff

• Anders February 20, 2019 / 4:07 pm

Hi, Geoff! Shouldn’t be any problem! I believe they have build ”stairs” at some steep parts recently, and I saw young children when we did the hike. Good luck and enjoy the views!

4. Flipside Travel October 30, 2019 / 10:15 am

Hi Anders! I came across this post while considering hiking to Khao Ngon Nak, and I am so happy I did in the end. Since 2016 quite a lot of things changed though. There are stairs now and considerably more infrastructure. So without wanting to highjack your post, I would like to share my most recent recount here, in case other people want more recent info:

5. Devesh Salunke November 13, 2019 / 10:41 am

How early can we start hiking Khao Ngon Nak? Can we hike early enough to see the sunrsie?

• Anders November 13, 2019 / 11:15 am

Hi,

I’m not sure. You can go a day before and ask the staff, maybe you can arrange something. Also ask about going at sunset if that’s an option.

Good luck!