Khao Ngon Nak – Stunning View Over Krabi

I always love a good view, and when my wife showed me a picture of a cliff ledge with a drop straight down with a stunning karst landscape in the background, I knew I just had to go. I’m talking about Khao Ngon Nak, meaning “dragon crest mountain” in Thai. The viewpoint at the top sits 565 meters (1853 ft) above sea level, offering one hell of a good view! Probably the best in Krabi.

The trail up to Khao Ngon Nak is just 3.7 km long but goes through very steep jungle terrain. The climb takes around 2 hours, depending on how many stops you make — there are many stations along the trail with information about the plants and ecosystem in the area. Use good shoes, and don’t forget to bring a lot of water because you will sweat!

map-ngon-nak

A map at the starting point shows that the 3.7 km long Hang Nak Hill Nature Trail has a stream, two viewpoints, and a waterfall before the peak of Khao Ngon Nak.

Welcome to the jungle!

green-thin-snake-thailand

During the hike, we saw an extremely slender, green snake, several small lizards and we could hear amazing sounds from gibbons.

tree-carves-ngon-nak

Names carved in tree bark.

The trail is steep at places so be careful.

After about one and a half hours climb, the edge of the jungle opened up and gave us a view out of the ordinary! From here, you can see the group of the Hong Islands. You can even see Koh Yao Noi and Koh Yao Yai further away.

Beautiful views whether you are looking out over the sea or inland.

We’re getting there. Just a quick break and a selfie.

Finally! What an absolutely lovely sign!

My brother-in-law near the edge of the peak with a burst of nervous laughter.

This shot is the reason I wanted to come here; the cliff ledge with the stunning karst landscape in the background.

My wife a few kilos lighter. Stunning view, isn’t it?

LOCATION

Khao Ngon Nak/Hang Nak Nature Trail is part of the Tubkaek National Park with the entrance located close to Tubkaek Beach in Nong Thale, 30 minutes north of Ao Nang.

Have you booked your hotel yet? Why pay more if you don’t have to? Agoda offers the best selection of hotels in Thailand to fit your travel budget and preferences.

8 thoughts on “Khao Ngon Nak – Stunning View Over Krabi

1. Hanif Aziz November 11, 2016 / 2:20 pm

Hi, nice entry. I would like to ask for a guide to the cliff ledge and the stunning landscape if im referring to the map that u mention above. In which viewpoint of KM can i found that scene of the cliff ledge and the stunning landscape. Thankyou!

2. Anders November 11, 2016 / 2:56 pm

Hi, Hanif. When you reach the peak (after viewpoint 2) and see the Ngon Nak sign, you will first see a big rock, (the first picture in this post) then turn right and go down a small path, there you’ll find the cliff ledge. It’s not easy to see at first, but you’ll find it when you get there. Good luck!

3. Geoff February 20, 2019 / 3:52 pm

Hi Anders,
    Do you think kids can manage this hike?Our youngest is 8, she had no trouble climbing the Monks Trail near Chiang Mai. Any reason we shouldn’t give it a try?
    Thanks,
    – Geoff

• Anders February 20, 2019 / 4:07 pm

Hi, Geoff! Shouldn’t be any problem! I believe they have build ”stairs” at some steep parts recently, and I saw young children when we did the hike. Good luck and enjoy the views!

4. Flipside Travel October 30, 2019 / 10:15 am

Hi Anders! I came across this post while considering hiking to Khao Ngon Nak, and I am so happy I did in the end. Since 2016 quite a lot of things changed though. There are stairs now and considerably more infrastructure. So without wanting to highjack your post, I would like to share my most recent recount here, in case other people want more recent info:

5. Devesh Salunke November 13, 2019 / 10:41 am

How early can we start hiking Khao Ngon Nak? Can we hike early enough to see the sunrsie?

• Anders November 13, 2019 / 11:15 am

Hi,

I’m not sure. You can go a day before and ask the staff, maybe you can arrange something. Also ask about going at sunset if that’s an option.

Good luck!