Time to Register My Drone in Thailand – New Regulations 2017

It is allowed to fly a drone in Thailand. However, in 2017 new regulations came into force in Thailand and registration with the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) is required if your drone is equipped with a camera or weighs more than 2 kg. For more details on the regulations visit CAAT’s website.

I’m in the middle of the registration process now as I heard that drones could be confiscated in Thailand, and according to CAAT’s website, “any act of violation is subjected to up to 1-year imprisonment or fined up to 40,000 baht or both”.

I don’t think it would go that far, but I’m not going to gamble on it.

Rawai Beach in Phuket captured with my drone before the new regulations.

In addition to the registration, you’ll need an insurance that covers damages of at least one million Baht. I got insurance through Drone Thai Insurance, and the cost for insurance category B is 3,000 baht plus a 1,500 baht insurance service fee. The company can also register your drone for another 1,500 baht if you don’t want to do it yourself. It sure is a boring expense, but if you really want to fly a drone in Thailand, you have to accept it.

Right now Drone Thai Insurance is getting tons of e-mail from foreign drone pilots, and they had to deactivate their facebook page temporarily. You can always contact them, but I’m not sure they can help you at the moment.

Drone registrations in ThailandDrone permissions from CAAT via Drone Thai Insurance.

The registration process will take between two and three months. I will update this post once I have received the permission from CAAT.

Update 9 August: Since 16th July 2018, CAAT will release licenses in form of soft copy (e-mail) only, no more hard copy as before making things easier. I’ve got my license!

11 thoughts on “Time to Register My Drone in Thailand – New Regulations 2017

1. And January 10, 2018 / 7:51 am

Any updates so far?

• Anders January 10, 2018 / 9:26 am

Hi And!

No, I just got a copy of my application with a stamp from CAAT that my registration is in process. I will probably get the permission in February as CAAT received my paper in late November.

2. Emilie January 31, 2018 / 10:27 pm

how did you apply for insurance? the website is in Thai! do i just email them about my info?
    Thanks
    I am leaving March 25th

• Anders February 1, 2018 / 4:06 am

Hi Emelie! Yea, send them an e-mail and they will explain what you need to do.

3. Anders April 29, 2018 / 6:43 pm

Update: still not received the permission after 5 months! I ended up flying anyway.

4. Christopher Dutton July 22, 2018 / 6:25 pm

Hi, how soon did you receive the letter with the stamp on after sending your forms in?

• Anders July 22, 2018 / 6:30 pm

Hi, pretty quick. However, they have other routines now, and you don’t need to send paper. Just e-mail, making things easier. Contact Drone Thai Insurance.

• Christopher Dutton July 22, 2018 / 6:35 pm

Yeah, they can do the NBTC registration for 1500 baht so I don’t have to mess about when I’m in Phuket in case it takes a while to find the place or sort. I asked an insurance company in the UK and they do worldwide insurance but the certificate doesn’t say my drone info, only that I’m insured. They said they would give me a letter with all the extra info on it that I need

• Anders July 22, 2018 / 6:39 pm

Hope it works out good for you.

5. Anders August 9, 2018 / 7:45 am